Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:14 am

Fade

Fade
Post Post Post
That was well said Emilia. Sounds like you could give lectures at Universities.

52Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:09 am

Narurin

Narurin
Spectrum Addict
I'm agnostic, so kind of like what Martin was saying. I believe that there might be a higher being out there, but we just can't prove it exists or doesn't exist. I don't know what shape that being is, but I do think that it is out there. Because there are things that make no sense. Why do we dream? How can a pair of identical twins have completely different personalities when they were brought up the same? Why did the Big Bang happen? We don't know these things, so people use religious ideas to explain them. And I personaly don't find anything wrong with that.

It's in our nature to try and find meaning in things that are
coincidences. It's why so many people are superstitious and think that
they have lucky undies or that saying 'touch wood' will prevent
something bad happening. It is also why so many millions of people find comfort in spirituality and religion.

You don't need to be religious to be a good person, but religion helps people to be good to others. It gives people rules to follow. For example if I was Catholic and I absolutely hated someone and wanted to punch them, I probably wouldn't go through with it. Turn the other cheek, love your neighbour, those rules would be running through my head and I wouldn't do it. And then there are the practical rules like no sex before marriage and wear modest clothing. Those sorts of rules are common to every major religion that I know about.

http://www.twitter.com/vanderde

53Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:31 am

Fade

Fade
Post Post Post
It would be better if the things in the bible were given as just a sense of rules to follow for peaceful living, but it's said to be fact, and dat just don't fly wit me.

54Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:47 am

MiniMan

MiniMan
Spectrum Addict
Coz its been around for years, people were gullable n stuffs and they needed a believer...

55Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:50 am

Fade

Fade
Post Post Post
And like Richard Dawkins said, Atheists had no basis in believing that god wasn't real, they just had to weather the insults because they had no way to fight back until now.

56Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:20 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Atheists' 10 Commandments.

1. Thou shalt not kill nor empower your government to kill for you.

2. Thou shalt not steal nor empower your government to steal for you.

3. Thou shalt not rape, molest or engage in non-consensual sex with other men, women, children or animals.

4. Thou shalt covet thy life and live it to the fullest for this is the only life thou shalt get.

5. Thou shal live in harmony with the earth and all its creatures.

6. Thou shalt treat all human beings as equal regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation and culture

7. Thou shalt not covet material wealth.

8. Thou shalt strive to understand the universe so that thou shalt begin to understand thyself.

9. Thou shalt teach thy fellow beings the laws of science, math, and nature, for it is by these laws that the universe and all life has come into existence.

10. Thou shalt not believe anything on faith. Blind faith is the unpardonable sin of mankind.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

57Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Fade

Fade
Post Post Post
Last one seems a little harsh, and 9 seems rather stuck up, but these are really good laws. Now if someone could go back in time and give these to whoever wrote the bible...

58Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:08 am

Um...

Um...
Took The First Step Towards Spectrum Addiction
HI! I was gonna write out practically a chapter of Stephen King before I got bored. So here's the basics. Imagine the infinite. Not just the Universe, but infinite amounts. Imagine the Sahara. Imagine if every grain of sand in the Sahara contained trillions of tiny Universes? We know there are atoms. Atoms are made of protons, neutrons, and electrons. But beyond that, getting smaller and smaller, who knows? Perhaps there's other Universe's. So whenever someone kicks up some sand, they alter all of those trillions upon trillions of Universe's. But that begs the question. What if WE'RE just part of a grain of sand? It makes everything we do seem rather pointless, no? Think about it.

59Life, the Universe, and Everything - Page 3 Empty Re: Life, the Universe, and Everything Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:19 am

Pearly

Pearly
The Atheist's commandments are good, they are all applicable and a lot more handy than the Biblical ones:)

But I still prefer the Pastafarianism's 8 I'd-Really-Rather-You-Didn'ts

1) I'd Really Rather You Didn't Act Like a Sanctimonious Holier-Than-Thou Ass When Describing My Noodly Goodness. If Some People Don't Believe In Me, That's Okay. Really, I'm Not That Vain. Besides, This Isn't About Them So Don't Change The Subject.
2) I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People.
3) I'd Really Rather You Didn't Judge People For The Way They Look, Or How They Dress, Or The Way They Talk, Or, Well, Just Play Nice, Okay? Oh, And Get This In Your Thick Heads: Woman = Person. Man = Person. Samey = Samey. One Is Not Better Than The Other, Unless We're Talking About Fashion And I'm Sorry, But I Gave That To Women And Some Guys Who Know The Difference Between Teal and Fuchsia.
4) I'd Really Rather You Didn't Indulge In Conduct That Offends Yourself, Or Your Willing, Consenting Partner Of Legal Age AND Mental Maturity. As For Anyone Who Might Object, I Think The Expression Is Go F*** Yourself, Unless They Find That Offensive In Which Case They Can Turn Off the TV For Once And Go For A Walk For A Change.
5) I'd Really Rather You Didn't Challenge The Bigoted, Misogynist, Hateful Ideas Of Others On An Empty Stomach. Eat, Then Go After The B******.
6) I'd Really Rather You Didn't Build Multimillion-Dollar Churches/Temples/Mosques/Shrines To My Noodly Goodness When The Money Could Be Better Spent (Take Your Pick):
Ending Poverty
Curing Diseases
Living In Peace, Loving With Passion, And Lowering The Cost Of Cable
I Might be a Complex-Carbohydrate Omniscient Being, But I Enjoy The Simple Things In Life. I Ought To Know. I AM the Creator.
7) I'd Really Rather You Didn't Go Around Telling People I Talk To You. You're Not That Interesting. Get Over Yourself. And I Told You To Love Your Fellow Man, Can't You Take A Hint?
Cool I'd Really Rather You Didn't Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You If You Are Into, Um, Stuff That Uses A Lot Of Leather/Lubricant/Las Vegas. If The Other Person Is Into It, However (Pursuant To #4), Then Have At It, Take Pictures, And For The Love Of Mike, Wear a CONDOM! Honestly, It's A Piece Of Rubber. If I Didn't Want It To Feel Good When You Did IT I Would Have Added Spikes, Or Something.

Funny. If you don't know, I'd advise you all to read up on Pastafarianism and the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it is a religion created to argue against teaching Intelligent Design iin school science classes (which they were going to) - the creator argued that if they wanted to teach Christianity's views, they had to teach Pastafarianism as well - 1/3 Evolution, 1/3 Christianity, 1/3 Pastafarianism.

http://selectstartmedia.net

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum