Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 pm

So I see the latest Bioshock game, Infinite, was released today. It seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews so far, PCG gave it a 91 anyway. It looks visually stunning to me at any rate and I might pick it up in the future when it comes down a bit in price (or if I get a better PC, haha).

What do you guys make of it? Did anyone here get a chance to play it yet?

2Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 pm

WolfgangAugustus

WolfgangAugustus
Official GE:S Clan Member
I haven't played it yet but I think it is on my list.

I loved Bioshock 1, but then 2 seemed way too similar for me to really enjoy it. So when I saw trailers for Infinite I was pretty keen on it.

It does look very good visually. I played Bioshock on PS3 but I'm gaming more on my PC now. I can't decide what platform to get Infinite on (when I eventually do).

http://legiondary.enjin.com/forum

3Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Avocado Bone Flower

Avocado Bone Flower
I'm not sure if I liked the first one or if I just finished because I had to. Haven't played the second one, but the ad for the third one does look pretty good. Just so long as I never, ever have to hear "Welcome to the circus of values! Hahahaha!" ever again. Evil or Very Mad

4Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 am

Avocado Bone Flower wrote:Just so long as I never, ever have to hear "Welcome to the circus of values! Hahahaha!" ever again.

Haha, true. Him or that Mexican-sounding voice-over for the weapons store always bugged me alright

5Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 am

damata_chip

damata_chip
I finished it last weekend. I enjoyed it but the game was pretty short. Took me 10 hours to complete and I searched through every corner of every room. Probably would have taken me 8 hours to finish if I didn't care so much about being thorough.

I loved the sky-city setting. The graphics were really impressive, although I had frame rate issues. I ended up needing to turn my graphics down to medium which seems a little low for my video card. I suspect part of the blame is with the game itself.

There are a couple of other things about the game that I didn't like. This review sums it up pretty well.

In conclusion, I wouldn't pay $90 for this game. Wait for it to be discounted in a steam sale or get it for free.

6Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 am

Avocado Bone Flower

Avocado Bone Flower
damata_chip wrote:In conclusion, I wouldn't pay $90 for this game. Wait for it to be discounted in a steam sale or get it for free.

$90? Australian dollars? That's double what it costs in the UK... What gives?

7Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:51 am

damata_chip

damata_chip
Avocado Bone Flower wrote:$90? Australian dollars? That's double what it costs in the UK... What gives?

$80-$100 is the standard price for new games in australia. This used to be acceptable back when the aussie dollar exchange rate was at about $0.50 USD but it's been over $1.00 for a couple of years now. They charge that much because they know people will pay it. Even steam puts the price up if you're in australia (although this is the publishers fault, not steams).

Personally I refuse to pay over $60 for a game on steam. There are a couple of websites you can go to where they buy it from europe and then gift it to you on steam. I did that for Far Cry 3 and only paid about $40. Much more reasonable.

8Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:25 am

Avocado Bone Flower

Avocado Bone Flower
Wow, that's mental. New PC games here are usually £30-40, maybe a little more some times. I've come across regional mark-ups before but never double. Right now I could get Bioshock Infinite on Steam for £29.99, or £26.48 from Zavvi.

I've experienced similar issues when buying from Adobe - you pay good whack more in Europe that you do in America.

9Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:33 am

damata_chip

damata_chip
It's been in the news a bit recently here. The Australian government got Adobe, Microsoft and a few other companies to come in and explain why they are charging australians twice as much.

Their response basically came down to "we charge that much because we can and if people don't like it they will buy elsewhere".

You can actually fly to the US, buy adobe's Creative Suite software and fly back to australia for a cheaper price than buying it here. It's ridiculous.

10Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 am

Mickle

Double Century
GST Tax, Import costs, the fact Majority of console gamers in AUS will pay > 100 for a new release.
All things that keep games well and truly over their worthwhile price.

Some of the reason I VPN my game purchases occasionally

11Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:46 am

Avocado Bone Flower

Avocado Bone Flower
Maybe they just take a look at your Monopoly-coloured banknotes and assume your currency is worth less than it is. Very Happy

This springs to mind: http://sheldoncomics.com/archive/080330.html

12Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 pm

self_slaughter

self_slaughter
Haven't seen much about bioshock infinite, heard it was pretty crap to be honest.

Loved the first one, 2nd one I barely played as I hated being the tinman.

Not sure I'd wanna play it on my current rig anyway, only got a gtx 670 atm and it sucks balls. Gotta grab a 2nd one before I'll feel comfortable playing newish games again Sad

Avocado Bone Flower wrote:Maybe they just take a look at your Monopoly-coloured banknotes and assume your currency is worth less than it is. Very Happy

This springs to mind: http://sheldoncomics.com/archive/080330.html

hahahaha I'll have to keep you in mind next time I wanna buy an expensive game on steam Razz
Used to have a US mate that I would get to gift me the games that were too expensive or censored over here. By the time I paypal'd the money + fees + an extra kicker for him I still came out well on top of paying aussie prices.

I get a lot of steam keys on places like g2play as well if I can't be bothered waiting for the game to go on sale on steam.

13Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 pm

damata_chip

damata_chip
self_slaughter wrote:only got a gtx 670 atm and it sucks

you ONLY have a GTX 670?

Harden the **** up Razz

unless you're saying the card is faulty and not working properly

14Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Nick has only ever had crazy high end computers and this would be a big hit for him performance wise Razz

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

15Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:26 am

Mickle

Double Century
self_slaughter wrote: only got a gtx 670 atm and it sucks balls.

As someone with a 670
They don't suck balls, they're too pretty and classy for such!

16Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 am

self_slaughter

self_slaughter
Haha yeah I'm just a whinging prick Smile

Should just be happy I've got a gaming PC again at all. Just a bit disappointed how slow the nvidia cards are. Games i used to run over 60fps at 6048x1200 cant even stay over 60fps at 1920x1080! Weak as piss lol. Oh well, i Will order a 2nd one next week and my world should get a little brighter again;)

17Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 am

damata_chip

damata_chip
I've found most of it to be driver issues. Getting the latest beta drivers after a game is released tends to give big performance increases. Far Cry 3 had a driver giving 40% higher FPS and I was able to run it on Ultra with my 560Ti

18Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 pm

self_slaughter

self_slaughter
Better not have to do the driver dance, that's half the reason I got the slower nvidia card instead of an AMD card lol.
It's not that bad performance wise I guess, but seriously even a drop to 55fps aggravates the hell out of me and ruins the experience...

Slightly more back on topic, but does this game support a control pad?
I use my PC solely on the plasma now with steam big picture, still needs a little fine tuning but beats any bloody console Razz

Went to play bioshock 2 since I've never played it but sadly it doesn't support it.
Downloaded a profile for it in pinnacle game profiler so hopefully it works alright.

19Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 am

Mantiskilla

Mantiskilla
Took The First Step Towards Spectrum Addiction
Haven't played it yet as I'm trying to finish Tomb Raider first; however, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U/3DS is getting in the way haha. Have a lot of friends who are saying I should play it now b/c that's how good it is

20Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite - Thoughts? Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Pearly

Pearly
That review that Damata posted is pretty accurate. There was this one fight that was the second of three fights against this one boss that is ridiculously difficult. I ended up running out of ammo and salts and just having to turn down to medium (which ended up being too easy :/ )

http://selectstartmedia.net

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum