Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do games still excite you ? Empty Do games still excite you ? Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 am

jockinaus

Took The First Step Towards Spectrum Addiction
I'll assume with this being a spectrum forum that most of you are in your 30+ age group.

From the early arcades of the late 70's ,to the atari 2600,Spectru,C64 etc,games were my everything (until I was 17 and wine,women and song kicked in ! ). The spectrum in particular,and I'm sure this has been discussed before on here,was such an amazing machine for what they managed to get it to do,given its limitations.Games were extremely exciting then,for two reasons - this was a new phenomenom in the 80's where every game type hadnt been done before,and probably the vigour of youth had me engrossed.

Moving on the the mid 90's,where in my opinion the last real gaming revolution happened,when we moved into 3d polygon worlds with the Playstation and N64.The N64 in particular was an exciting time,I still reckon that Super Mario 64 and Golden Eye are,for their time,the best games ever made.

So here I am now,in my 40's with all the commitments and stresses of work and home.Ive got an XBOX and Wii,which I buy the occasional game for,but I feel that my gaming mojo's got lost somewhere along the way.FPS games,i.e COD series,Halo etc - I just dont get that vibe anymore like I did with Doom lets say,for all the photo realistic graphics,cinematic cut scenes and voice acting,your still just pointing a gun at dumb ass AI targets.I suppose theres multiplayer,which is fun but frustrating,as you know your up against a lot of kids who's reaction time is way faster than yours !!

I did recently fall for a game big style,XCOM 2012 which I played like a few hours every day,I just couldnt leave it alone.

So,can anyone relate to any of this ?

2Do games still excite you ? Empty Re: Do games still excite you ? Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:40 am

Mickle

Double Century
Im only 23, however some games just no longer have the right feel to them when I play them now.
I think our age just changes our perception on what we actually want the games to provide for us over the games not being great.
I could go back to warcraft 3, the game I managed to play for 6+ years consistently and not have that exact same joy I used to, because the game no longer is exactly what I wanted in a game.

Games getting prettier is now a requirement of most games I play now, an FPS game without some sense of realism won't draw you in and give you that feeling you're really after. Games such as COD etc don't have that real level of depth, so the lack of motivation to play them can sometimes crush your mood.

3Do games still excite you ? Empty Re: Do games still excite you ? Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:49 am

self_slaughter

self_slaughter
Official GE:S Clan Member
Yeah, I'm kinda burnt out on games now I think.

Bought all the big releases of the last year or so during the summer sales on steam and just can't get into any of em.

Still play doom/doom2 quite regularly though!

I still enjoy building gaming computers, but just can't be stuffed actually playing many games on em anymore.

Not sure if it's just me getting older, or just the fact that games are generally crap now days.

Kinda seems overkill having an overclocked 4770k/dual gtx 670s under a $1000+ custom water loop just to play doom and **** a round on facebook lol.

Doom does look nice at 2560x1440@120Hz though hahahahaha

4Do games still excite you ? Empty Re: Do games still excite you ? Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 am

Nastard

Nastard
Yes, but they don't excite me as much as they used to.

5Do games still excite you ? Empty Re: Do games still excite you ? Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 am

Avocado Bone Flower

Avocado Bone Flower
I think I'm with your, self_slaughter.

Games used to excite me a lot, from the time of the SNES to Windows, but at some point around mid-to-late high school I got tired. I think it was a combination of not updating my hardware enough to play new games, and less interest in them. Time and money seemed better spent on social activities. Maybe the games themselves stopped being as exciting too, I don't know.

I just seemed to outgrow being a gamer. I think the only new games that would excite me now are Half Life 3, Portal 3 or a new 2D Monkey Island game (something about the demo of the Tales one just put me off).

The games I have played the most in the last few years besides Valve FPSs are Worms Armageddon, the Dungeon Keepers, the Monkey Islands, Grim Fandango, GoldenEye Source, Mario All Stars, Mario Kart and the Donkey Kong Countries. Oh, and Yoshi's Island - what a beast of a game! And I'm currently replaying Duke Nukem 3D just now.

So... all pretty retro. New hyper-real or high-concept games are so inaccessible to me, it feels like too big an investment to get into, so I never buy them out of fear of getting bored fast.

I need to see if I can get the first Quake up and running some time...

6Do games still excite you ? Empty Re: Do games still excite you ? Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:01 pm

self_slaughter

self_slaughter
well gotta say, played the living crap out of the new shadow warrior.
first game in a long time that actually has excited me Very Happy
it's got the old school gameplay without feeling dated, and still looks quite pretty to boot!

25+ hours in already. that's massive for me! lol

Do games still excite you ? JDpkGYz

kinda got into rayman a bit, but got bored quickly... nowhere near as good as the wii version was.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum