Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Software on Steam Empty Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Maybe The Derr Man can give us a bit more insight into this, but I think deciding to sell software on Steam is a bit ridiculous.

Does Value think that they have be apart of the entire software empire? Yes, everything being available in the cloud is where it is heading, but Value is doing such a poor job with Steam and their games in general, I don't know why they would want to branch off this way.

Stick to one thing and do it well.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

2Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 pm

damata_chip

damata_chip
Official GE:S Clan Member
I think it's a logical next step for the Steam platform and it isn't entirely ridiculous to be expanding in that direction.

Why do you think Valve is doing such a poor job with Steam and their games in general? It's been a long time since they've released a game that was considered bad.

3Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Well, in terms of the mod community, we are getting zero support from Valve now. They keep breaking the SDK.

And really, do you think CS:GO is fantastic?

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

4Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:53 pm

self_slaughter

self_slaughter
CS:GO Is pretty good when you consider its only what $10-$15? (I forgot now but it was dirt cheap even on release)
Sure it's almost COD but how much does COD cost by the time you get all the map packs etc $200? bah

Steam has come a long way in the last few years, When it first came out I absolutely hated it with a passion but now I couldn't live without it.
Sure its a pain in the ass sometimes but I haven't had to worry about a scratched disc or a lost cd key or even game updates in 8 years so I'm pretty happy with the compromise!

Steam selling software might actually be enough for me to start using paid software again! Nice having everything all together Smile

Oh and how much do you pay Valve for support again? oh wait... trololol Twisted Evil

5Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm

damata_chip

damata_chip
Is there any gaming company out there that actively supports an SDK that was released 8+ years ago? They have done far far better than most companies on that front.

CS:GO isn't a bad game. It has the usual vocal minority that's saying they ruined it, but that's true for every popular game. It gotten decent reviews (averaged 82 on metacritic), and is currently in Steams top 10 most played list (along with 4 other Valve games).

In terms of Steam though, it started out crap but it's a pretty decent platform these days IMO. It's far better than Origin or Games for Windows Live anyway. Games are cheap (except for when the publishers rip off us Aussies) and download quickly. It makes it insanely easy to join a friends game, lets you chat without alt-tabbing out of a game, has built in voice chat, has a mobile app, stores saved games on the cloud, the list goes on. It has been a long time since I found myself complaining about something Steam did.

6Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Torchwood

Torchwood
Double Century
I don't like steam, it really annoys me that i have to have a program to run a game what happend to insert disk and off you go?

In terms of steam support do you really expect them to spend time and money on stuff they can't make a profit on be realistic, i have the feeling they would prefer not to have moders anyway!!!
What a Face

7Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:52 pm

self_slaughter

self_slaughter
Torchwood wrote:what happend to insert disk and off you go?

lol, you mean insert disc, attempt install, fail, remove + clean disc, attempt to install game again, needs cdkey that was on some random piece of paper.... go hunting through old box looking for key, finally install game, attempt to play online... needs updates, search for and download how ever many updates then manually install, then search for a nocd crack, then off you go

lol!

8Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:43 pm

MisterBright

MisterBright
I like STEAM...it's nice having everything in one place...

Of course...I also LOVE GOG...

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm...DRM free games...

9Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Torchwood

Torchwood
Double Century
lol, you mean insert disc, attempt install, fail, remove + clean disc, attempt to install game again, needs cdkey that was on some random piece of paper.... go hunting through old box looking for key, finally install game, attempt to play online... needs updates, search for and download how ever many updates then manually install, then search for a nocd crack, then off you go

Yeah that can happen but i've never really had those problems mostly cos i'm ocd about keeping my disks clean but also i don't really use the online parts of the games so i could care less about that stuff!!!

10Software on Steam Empty Re: Software on Steam Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:10 am

Mickle

Double Century
Emilia wrote:Well, in terms of the mod community, we are getting zero support from Valve now. They keep breaking the SDK.

And really, do you think CS:GO is fantastic?

hey now, like all games, CS:GO is buggy.
However, I don't feel it was up to release standards on release day, still too many beta issues, was definitely rushed out.

However as mentioned, we did only pay <$15 for it ^.^

Other than that, steam can do as they please in my eyes, up until they **** up majorly.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum