Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mecanum Wheel - An Omnidirectional Wheel Empty Mecanum Wheel - An Omnidirectional Wheel Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 am

OJPhoenix

OJPhoenix
Spectrum is My Best Friend
I signed up to stumble today and my third stumble led me to this, and it got my attention big time, a wheel, capable of omnidirectional movement.

Mecanum Wheel

Mecanum Wheel - An Omnidirectional Wheel 300px-MG_6646.resize

The Mecanum wheel is one design for a wheel which can move in any direction. It is sometimes called the Ilon wheel after its Swedish inventor, Bengt Ilon, who came up with the idea in 1973 when he was an engineer with the Swedish company Mecanum AB.

It is a conventional wheel with a series of rollers attached to its circumference. These rollers have an axis of rotation at 45° to the plane of the wheel in a plane parallel to the axis of rotation of the wheel. As well as moving forward and backward like conventional wheels, they allow sideways movement by spinning wheels on the front and rear axles in opposite directions.

(taken from its Wiki Page)

this is a fantastic demonstration of the Mecanum Wheel in action, on a wheelchair

I've seen people have so much trouble getting on and, in particular, off a bus with their wheelchair, this would help so much in similar tight situations, I reckon it would be absolutely sweet if we could get cars with Mecanum Wheels Very Happy

There's a bunch of Mecanum Wheel robot videos on youtube, but I found this wheelchair video to be far more impressive

Mijy

Mijy
Administrator
Thats pretty cool.

I however dont think they will be appearing on cars any time soon or in the future for that fact, unless they can be made for much less than a car wheel (rubber + rim) (which i doubt).

They might include some prototype cars with them just as example, but I would have a feeling that there would be a max speed for them before they get dangerous - and not a high speed at that.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/mijy07

OJPhoenix

OJPhoenix
Spectrum is My Best Friend
Yeah I think I remember reading something about a lack of traction in the mecanum wheels that would, as you say, make them dangerous on cars, which is a shame, something cool like that might make me really want my liscence Razz

Mijy

Mijy
Administrator
A wheel would make you want your licence? That is almost as stupid as kesha's new video...

https://steamcommunity.com/id/mijy07

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]