Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do murderers deserve a second chance? Empty Do murderers deserve a second chance? Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:03 pm

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
Nowadays many criminals who have commited murder are granted parole after a certain amount of years and are set free...

I myself believe that murderers should never be set free and should be kept in prison for the rest of their lives.
Anybody who takes away the life of another doesn't deserve a second chance at life in my opinion, there is no worser crime than taking the life of another.

Do you think that murderers should ever deserve to have a second chance at life and why?

Also, what is your opinion on juveniles? Do you think that they should be treated the same as an adult for commiting a crime such as murder?

Kids who are old enough to murder can't be too young to spend their life in prison imo.

The Derr Man

The Derr Man
If you take a life you shouldn't get a second chance, an eye for an eye, a life for a life.

I don't think juveniles should be treated any different, it will send a strong message out saying this won't be tolerated no matter your age.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thederrman

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
No second chances. Prison isn't punishment enough.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
/agreed

Narurin

Narurin
Spectrum Addict
Personally I think it depends on the circumstances of the murder. I'm of the belief that context always needs to be taken into account, regardless of the crime.

Like for instance I heard of a case in some Middle Eastern country where a woman was charged with manslaughter (she tried to burn her husband's man parts off and ended up burning him and their house down, or something to that effect). Her husband had been aggressive to her and cheating on her throughout their marriage. I wouldn't say that it's completely fair for her to be jailed for the rest of her life when you take his behaviour towards her into consideration.

http://www.twitter.com/vanderde

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Yeah, of course, but people who just murder out of cold blood don't deserve anything.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

Narurin

Narurin
Spectrum Addict
Yeah, true psychopaths need to be locked up forever, because there is nothing that anybody can do to stop them being psychopathic.

But if it's a murder because of anger management issues (eg: killing your partner's mistress), then I don't reckon life imprisonment is necessary. People usually feel remorse, and anger management is one of those things that can always be improved, same as a lot of things.

Personally I think rape is a worse crime than murder, because the victim has to live with the experience for the rest of their life.

8Do murderers deserve a second chance? Empty Re: Do murderers deserve a second chance? Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 am

KevlarShock

KevlarShock
Double Century
I agree with you Narurin, Something that the victim has to live with is horrible.
So frustrating that soo many people are able to get on parole even though they've gone out of the way to actually inflict harm or kill people.

If it's something like someone getting abused and they've turned around and killed the person who was abusing them, still has to be measured, if there were other ways of dealing with it.

Very hard topic, there are also quite a few people you get framed for other peoples crimes and they get the punishment.. They need to get lie detectors.. seriously, but they'd still need to do the regular procedures.

9Do murderers deserve a second chance? Empty Re: Do murderers deserve a second chance? Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:20 am

Narurin

Narurin
Spectrum Addict
Lie detector tests are easy to cheat on - all they do is measure anxiety levels. If they were able to find a 'lying' section of the brain they could do brain scans and text for liars that way, but it's unlikely to happen.

Yeah you're right though Kevlar, it is a difficult topic - there are so many factors that need to be thought about, and there are always exceptions to every rule.

10Do murderers deserve a second chance? Empty Re: Do murderers deserve a second chance? Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:27 am

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
Just get Carl Lightman, he'll tell you if they're lying or not.

11Do murderers deserve a second chance? Empty Re: Do murderers deserve a second chance? Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

TheSquigle

TheSquigle
Took The First Step Towards Spectrum Addiction
To change the question very slightly... those of you who think all murderers should get life imprisonment, Why not upgrade it to capital punishment. I mean, If the convicted murderer is going to spent the rest of his/her life in jail costing the taxpayer X00,000 dollars per year with no chance of release, wouldn't it make sense to bring the end of their now practically waste of oxygen existence a few years forwed?

12Do murderers deserve a second chance? Empty Re: Do murderers deserve a second chance? Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Earthworm Jimbo

Earthworm Jimbo
Getting Known
The problem with that is what if the person being accused of murder is actually innocent? Unfortunately, at least here in the states, there have been cases where the accused has found him/herself "guilty until proven innocent" instead of the other way around. People have gotten off of death row or life imprisonment thanks to newly submitted DNA evidence.

Since the justice system isn't infallible, I don't really think its good at all to have capital punishment. Life imprisonment, although very pricey, is a much needed safeguard for this as things currently stand.

13Do murderers deserve a second chance? Empty Re: Do murderers deserve a second chance? Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:23 am

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
I agree with you Squigle, the capital punishment should be brought back, but there are problems with it as Earthworm Jimbo said. The chance of capital punishment ever being brought back is near impossible in Australia anyway.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]