Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Massive Attack Concert Empty Massive Attack Concert Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:00 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
James and I went to the Massive Attack concert on Friday at Kings Park.

We got up to the gates at around quarter to 6. It was a licenced event, so they were checking people's ID's and bags to see if people were bring in alcohol. James said to me, "I bet they will check your ID and not mine." It was actually the other way around. They checked my bags and we walked up to where a big group of people were waiting to get it. As soon as it turned 6, DJ Massiv Trav started playing music and they let us through. A lot of people ran to get to the front. James and I pushed our way through and we got an awesome space. The stage was sitting over the water at the Women's Memorial Lake. There was two big screens and to the right of the stage was a dance area. We were on a hill, so we had the best view. We put our picnic blanket down and took a seat. I noticed that James and I were really the only young people there. Massive Attack is old, sure, but I was surprised. For such older people, they were hardly mature...

The people who were sitting behind us decided they wanted to take up as much space as they could. They pushed their cushions right up to our blanket and were basically breathing down our necks. We sat around waiting for an hour for Martina Topley-Bird to start performing. She was supposed to come on at 7, but she didn't come on until 7.30pm. It was from here, James and I were starting to get really annoyed.

Martina is her own artist but she sings a lot of Massive Attack's songs. I don't think people realised this or who she was. Most of the crowd was talking through her performance! It was unbelieveable. She is multitalented, so she was doing a "one man band" kind of thing. A few of her songs she used only her voice. She used this machine where she would hum a tune into the microphone for a few seconds, then record another one and layer it up until it was a tune and then sing to it. It was amazing. She even tried to get the crowd to join in, but they continued to talk. The people who were sitting behind us were horrible. James even turned around and told them to be quiet. They didn't listen. It was then I realised why they took up so much space. They were saving a seat for all their friends who decided to turn up late! We were losing so much of our space. They were putting their blankets on top of ours. They would talk so loudly and stand up to greet their friends. Pathetic.

Martina played an awesome song on the electric guitar to finish her act. The roadies set up the stage for Massive Attack, who came on at about 8.30. They had two drummers and a few guitarists, whilst also using synthetics. The screen behind them was amazing. It is hard to explain what it was like in writing, but it added to the amazing light show they put on. The opening song I didn't recognise but it started the show with a bang. The whole show was based on showing the crowd some of the world's issues, especially poverty. They screen behind showed movies, quotes and dramatics words. The best song of the night was Girl I Love You. Horrace Andy came out and started singing. It was mind blowing. On the screen, they were showing dollar values for different things, like how people in Africa live on less than a dollar a day to showing how much a very, very expensive handbag cost. I am not absolutely sure about this, but after that song, a group of people started shouting that Massive Attack were the C word and they knocked over the fencing of the dance area. I am not sure who it was, but I am sure they were reacting to the numbers they were bringing up on the screen. It was very odd.

The lights put me in a trance.

The people behind us were still being inconsiderant. The girls were putting their legs onto our picnic blanket. I think they had enough room as it is!

The encore was a little disappointing. They started playing Splitting the Atom, their hit from the new album, which no one got into. Then they played their number one hit Unfinished Sympathy. Everybody stood up and started dancing. They then played Atlas Air, a new song of theirs, but not that great (not such a great encore song I have to say) and we started to leave during the last song of Karmacoma. I would have put Karmacoma first, Unfinished Sympathy next, Splitting the Atom last and left Atlas Air out.

The roads were packed full of drunk and people who couldn't walk properly. We slowly got our car through the mass of people and drove off into the night.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

2Massive Attack Concert Empty Re: Massive Attack Concert Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:13 am

Narurin

Narurin
Spectrum Addict
At least the music was good Very Happy

http://www.twitter.com/vanderde

3Massive Attack Concert Empty Re: Massive Attack Concert Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Yeah. It just really spoilt it that the crowd was disappointing and I was feeling quite sick.

I put a post on Massive Attack's wall on Facebook about how I was disappointed with people talking during Martina and there are a few people who have said the same thing.

4Massive Attack Concert Empty Re: Massive Attack Concert Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:45 am

MiniMan

MiniMan
Spectrum Addict
Sounds.... Fun?
110 bucks for people talking through the whole thing...
Grats...

5Massive Attack Concert Empty Re: Massive Attack Concert Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:54 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Just talking mostly through Martina and the idiots behind us.

6Massive Attack Concert Empty Re: Massive Attack Concert Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:58 am

MiniMan

MiniMan
Spectrum Addict
Still, sounds... Fun (Y)
Wink

7Massive Attack Concert Empty Re: Massive Attack Concert Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Mijy

Mijy
Administrator