Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1XCOM: Enemy Unknown Empty XCOM: Enemy Unknown Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 pm

MisterBright

MisterBright
Official GE:S Clan Member
Someone on my STEAM Friends List actually bought me this for my birthday...and I love them forever...

So, this game is freaking amazing. I'll admit, i've always had problems with the old XCOM game, mainly the fact that it is absolutely freaking hard and if you screw up early on, you can completely F--K everything up when it matters. The game doesn't even tell you if you screwed up or not. Some people praise that game for it's depth and freedom, but that freedom seems to die for me when you are forced to research some things or else you basically lose the game...

The NEW XCOM, however, is much more forgiving and, to me, TONS MORE FUN! The game is eerie as all hell and I was always on the edge of my seat whenever the aliens would take their turn and line up a shot at one of my soliders. You have less soliders this time around, only 4-6, unlike the original which gave you like 8-10. They also got rid of the TIME UNITS part of the old game, which ALWAYS ANNOYED ME. Now, your soliders get two moves a turn.

The base building is much more simple this time around. Instead of juggling multiple bases, you only have one that you can expand with more rooms and equipment.

I won't go into complete detail about the game. The new XCOM has been bashed for "dumbing down things" and "being too easy", but where I see those criticisms I just say "it's much more accessible and less punishing for screwing up" and there is nothing wrong with that. It does have bugs, but those can always be fixed. Plus, it's a FIRAXIS game so you know it's got a lot of personality and the strategy is top notch.

I haven't beaten it yet and i'm enjoying the hell out of it. I urge any strategy fan to pick it up.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown 468px-Xcom_enemy_logo

2XCOM: Enemy Unknown Empty Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Not a huge fan of strategy games myself I'm afraid. It sounds like a pretty good game to go for if you're into that genre though

3XCOM: Enemy Unknown Empty Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Pearly

Pearly

http://selectstartmedia.net

4XCOM: Enemy Unknown Empty Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:25 am

jockinaus

Took The First Step Towards Spectrum Addiction
Ive found in recent years that I just dont have the time or inclanation for serious gaming anymore.When I'm playing its ok,but normaly for half hour bursts here and there.

Then XCOM for the xbox came along.

I recently completed the single player,and I just couldnt leave this game alone ! Ive been with this series if you consider its legacy from day one - Rebelstar Raiders,Rebelstar,Laser Squad,Xcom (amiga/playstation) - the only dud was xcom terror from the deep which was the exact same game as xcom with a water theme.

But back to XCOM 2012.Looking back at it now after completion,I dont think there was a huge amount they added that was any different from the early 90's version,not that it matters because its just so damn good.Even on standard settings it was a hard nut to crack,I found myself having to start over from scratch numerous times until I found the right combat tecnhniques and base managment.

I hear theres a follow up coming out,XCOM enemy within.This might only be downloadable content for XCOM,but I do hope its a stand alone follow up with some fresh ideas on how to take things forward.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum