Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 am

The Derr Man

The Derr Man
Stupid kid dies after swallowing Bucky Balls. So obvious solution is to ban them Rolling Eyes

The WA Government has placed a product safety ban on magnetised novelty items which have killed a young child and recently caused injuries to several other children in Australia. Commerce Minister Simon O’Brien approved the ban today.

In WA, Princess Margaret Hospital reports there have been 33 cases of children swallowing magnets since 2006 and four were admitted to hospital for treatment. In April 2012, a two year old boy underwent emergency surgery to remove 27 small magnets from his stomach.

Sold under various names including BuckyBalls, Neocubes and Neodymium Sphere Magnets, the small metal balls, with diameters of 4-5 millimetres, pose a danger to children if swallowed.

The ban relates to strong magnets of less than one centimetre in size that could be ingested by a child. Magnets used for industrial or scientific purposes are exempt.

Commissioner for Consumer Protection Anne Driscoll said the ban means that these dangerous items must be removed from the shelves of retail stores and cannot be sold to any Australian consumers.

“Although these small high-powered magnets are marketed to adults, they pose a real danger if swallowed by children,” Ms Driscoll said.

“If more than one of the balls are swallowed, they can attract to each other across the intestinal wall and perforate the intestine, which can be fatal. Emergency surgery is generally required in these circumstances.”

Late last year in Queensland, an 18 month old child died after ingesting 12 small magnets. In May this year, a three year old boy in Sydney swallowed four magnet balls and underwent surgery for a perforated oesophagus and, in June, a seven year old boy in Sydney underwent surgery after swallowing the magnets. There have since been two further reports of 12 year old children from Sydney and Melbourne suffering severe injuries.

“These novelty magnets have been on sale in WA for some time and we would urge any parent or guardian to ensure that toys or novelty items containing magnets are kept out of reach of young children. If a child has swallowed a magnet, urgent medical assistance should be sought,” the Commissioner said.

“The Minister has today approved an immediate interim ban on these products pending a permanent ban being put in place that will apply nationally. While a ban on magnets in children’s toys has been in place for some time, this ban will relate to these items used by adults but could potentially be swallowed by children.”

More information on product safety is available at www.productsafety.gov.au or inquiries can be made by calling Consumer Protection on 1300 30 40 54 or email productsafety@commerce.wa.gov.au.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/consumer-protection-wa/dangerous-magnets-banned-after-child-death-and-injuries/10151096793967978

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thederrman

2Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:32 am

Torchwood

Torchwood
Double Century
well this is a load of bull, i tend to subscribe to the principal of natural selection, why get rid of a fun toy (that is clearly indicated as a 14+ toy anyway) i think the parents who let their kids get a hold of and swallow them should hold themselves responsible!

3Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
*holds onto her balls for dear life*

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

4Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Torchwood wrote:i think the parents who let their kids get a hold of and swallow them should hold themselves responsible!

Exactly. If these toys are clearly marked as being suitable for ages 14+ only then how on earth is anyone below that age getting their hands on them? Surely if there are children in the house below the age specified on the box then it's the parents' responsibility to ensure that they don't get access to these toys especially if there is a danger of them being swallowed.

I don't think banning them is the proper solution. It just leads to more anger from consumers above that age who now can't get their hands on these toys because of some irresponsible parents

5Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Torchwood

Torchwood
Double Century
Not to mention people will just buy them online from overseas where the government has no control over the quality and safety of the product. I guess putting the responsibility of parenting onto parents is too much to ask though, especially when common sense has become such a rare commodity.

LOL Emilia (or should i say Grumpy McEmilia)

6Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 am

Progin

Progin
Forum Friendly
*Government sees child smoking*
DOES NOTHING

*Child chokes and dies on adult toy*
BANNED

7Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:08 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Progin wrote:*Government sees child smoking*
DOES NOTHING

*Child chokes and dies on adult toy*
BANNED

^ ^ ^
THIS

8Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:39 am

Fordello

Fordello
Getting Known
I love my bucky balls F*ck the police.

9Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am

Mickle

Double Century
So let me get this straight.

WA is a backwards state?

10Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Yes, we all knew this.

Smile

11Bucky Balls Banned in WA Empty Re: Bucky Balls Banned in WA Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:43 am

BoBo -.-

Took The First Step Towards Spectrum Addiction
ermm wtf just happened -.0

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum