Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do Australians swear too much?

Swearing I_vote_lcap40%Swearing I_vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]
Swearing I_vote_lcap60%Swearing I_vote_rcap 60% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Swearing Empty Swearing Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Another Can of Worms question.

It's pretty funny.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

2Swearing Empty Re: Swearing Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 pm

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
What a stupid question

3Swearing Empty Re: Swearing Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
How is it a stupid question? It's just an opinion based question.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

4Swearing Empty Re: Swearing Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 pm

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
The whole question just somehow seems biased to me and silly

It isn't really debating anything to me, just trying to be funny, I'm sure it brought up lots of laughs, but besides that the question doesn't really mean much to me

Even if this question were to be taken seriously, is the swearing too much compared to what...

Everybody swears, sure Australians swear... I don't think Australians swear more than any other nation... I just dont see the point in this question

5Swearing Empty Re: Swearing Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Mijy

Mijy
Administrator
martin wrote:What a stupid question

Its not a stupid question.

I know i swear too much but its controllable and shouldnt really be done in public. People can take offence to words and so it should be used with discretion.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/mijy07

6Swearing Empty Re: Swearing Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:37 pm

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
Well if you want a proper answer from me I would say that Australians don't swear too much.

Australians swear just as much as an Australian would swear if an Australian could swear, no more, no less.

I just finished watching that episode of Can of Worms and my honest opinion is that Australians do not swear too much, but I wouldn't even label this to just Australians, I would say this for everybody, in my opinion nobody swears too much. In that episode they were more discussing whether somebody should have the right to swear and whether it is offensive or not...

I completely agree with Don Burke, everybody should have the right to swear. It is a word like every other in our language and it is there to be used. A strong word to express our opinions. At the end of the day if somebody is going to insult another, it doesn't really matter whether they drop a F bomb or not, they are going to be just as insulting. Humans are made to feel a range of emotions and we should be able to freely express ourselves anyway we like.

To say that it is "boring", "dull" and "stupid" to swear seems rather naiive to me. I can understand that people deserve to be respected and some will find things offensive, but if somebody means to be offensive that is how it will be. I can understand where that reporter chick was coming from, I have seen many from certain groups speak in ways which make them seem like they are so stupid that they are of a lower species, but these people will sound stupid whether they swear or not. At the end of the day, to swear is not so bad, its the way you act and hold yourself in society which really matters. I believe that everybody has the right to be respected, but there's nothing wrong with using a good swear word.

In my occupation in customer service I have had quite a few people go off their face at me over the phone and use some very colourful words. Not once was I offended with any of it. If anything I was more happy that they were swearing at me, it made things more interesting for me to deal with. At least when somebody swears at you they are upfront as well, not talking about you behind your back like some people do.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum