Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it wrong to tell your kids there is no God?

God I_vote_lcap67%God I_vote_rcap 67% [ 4 ]
God I_vote_lcap33%God I_vote_rcap 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1God Empty God Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:57 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Vote and tell us why you gave us your answer.

Is it wrong to tell your kids there is no God?

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

2God Empty Re: God Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:48 am

KiSM

KiSM
Double Century
its wrong to tell your kids that there is not god but its also wrong to tell your kids that there defiantly is one

http://onegeek.tumblr.com

3God Empty Re: God Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:55 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
I agree. I know a lot about different religions and things like that, so I think that it is better if I tell my children everything I know and then they can make up their own minds about what they want to believe.

4God Empty Re: God Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm

martin

martin
Millennium Bug

This is a very philosophically deep question...

I think this depends on what the term "wrong" really means, that can be rather vague. It seems like a rather basic label...

I don't personally see anything wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with a parent trying to force an opinion on to their children because it is their children and it is their right to try and shape their children the way that they want them to be. Every parent does it in some form and every parent will do it, that is human nature. Just like when people try to sway another's point of view in every day life.

There is something wrong with saying to another person's child that there is no God because you don't really have the right to do that, but to say it to your own child, I see nothing wrong with that.

Besides I don't think it would really matter in the end, the child will be raised by the parent whether they like it or not. A parent does not have to verbally voice their opinion to a child to make them believe it and influence them.

A psychopath is not raised because their father said that it is ok to beat women, it is because they witness the behaviour of violence. A child would be influenced the most by the way their parents act, not by what they say. If a parent is athiest, their way of life will pretty much influence the child no matter what they say.

I personally believe in no God at all and the way I raise any child of mine, whether I verbally state the existence of a God. I'm pretty sure the child is going to follow my opinion whatever I say anyway, its not like Im going to make the child go to church and the child will have no religious influence, so I fail to see how the child could have an opinion otherwise.

This is like saying that its wrong to tell a child your point of view on anything, which seems rather silly.

If however this is more a question of respect, it is wrong to say to a child that there is no God AND anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot. That is wrong, because it going down the path of discrimination and no respect of the rights of others. But to simply say that there is no God, there is nothing wrong with that.

P.S. There is no God

5God Empty Re: God Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
But are you going to care if they decide to start believing in God?

6God Empty Re: God Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 am

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
I find that scenario very unlikely.

The only way that I can possibly see that realistically happening is if my future wife was religious pushed her beliefs on to her children.

You know, I think religious parents are worse, they all push their beliefs on to their child, to say that there is a God is just as bad. Whoever thought of a child of a religious man ever having a choice to go to church, every parent pushes their beliefs on to their child. Its just hypocritical to deny that. Every body must believe strongly enough in something to push that belief on to their child.

But

To answer your question simply emily

No i wouldn't care, all I would say to my child is that there is no God, but they can think whatever they like, it doesn't matter to me.

I was forced to go to church.

Absolutely disgusting

READ THAT **** BELOW

Emily Lloyd says
Yet, you say it is ok for parents to force their opinions on their kids

Martin Conticello says
of course it is
it is their kids
after all
why else do you have kids
i mean think about it

Martin Conticello says
parents spend a hell of a lot of money on a child, it costs money and a lot of time and resources
one of the main reasons that anybody has a child is to pass on their own name isnt it
create someone in their own image
how else would you do that if you dont instill your beliefs on to your child
no child really truly has complete freedom to think and do whatever they want
that question is really a double edged sword
its talking about raising a child
and also religion
totally different topics

7God Empty Re: God Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Mijy

Mijy
Administrator
I think i answered incorrectly on the poll. I said it isnt wrong to tell your kids that God doesnt exist. What I would do is just explain that I have no reason to believe that there is a God, and that I chose not to. Then I would tell my kids that it is up to them to decide if they want to believe or not. Its not my choice.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/mijy07

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum