Spectrum
Welcome to Spectrum: The forum about anything and everything!
The home of GoldenEye: Source and Minecraft!
Spectrum: The home of Friday Night Gaming

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Playstation Announcement/ Email Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Mijy

Mijy
Administrator
From Sony concerning the playstation network.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:
Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.
We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at au.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited (formerly known as PlayStation Network Europe Limited) is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited the data controller for PlayStation Network/Qriocity personal data

https://steamcommunity.com/id/mijy07

2Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Re: Playstation Announcement/ Email Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Honestly, if they had all my details, I would be going and getting my credit card changed straight away.

http://spectrum.niceboard.org

3Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Re: Playstation Announcement/ Email Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm

KevlarShock

KevlarShock
Double Century
Apparently they dont even need ur credit card details, because they said with the amount of information that they are able to take from peoples playstation accounts it would be possible to just steal ur identity even create a passport or even just start a credit card. etc. etc.

4Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Re: Playstation Announcement/ Email Sun May 01, 2011 6:41 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.
• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
• All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
• Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

Full read here: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/01/some-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/

5Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Re: Playstation Announcement/ Email Sun May 01, 2011 4:51 pm

martin

martin
Millennium Bug
The Commonwealth Bank showed a message on their website the other day regarding this, they said not to worry about getting your credit card details changed because apparently if any bad shiit happens its covered and the credit card systems have protection systems apparently to monitor unauthorised use of the credit cards anyway.

That being said, I would still be worried if I had a PSN account and KevlarShock is right about identity theft.

Incidents like these show how dangerous a place the internet can be and why its so very important to remain very vigilant when it comes to personal details and banking information.

Its a pity this happened, hopefully the culprit gets shot down or something.

6Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Re: Playstation Announcement/ Email Mon May 02, 2011 8:18 am

KevlarShock

KevlarShock
Double Century
Yer as fair as i know, i heard a few things about the group "anonymous" being behind it or something..

something stupid like some of their hackers where trying to show Sony how 'Dangerous' it is, and how easily information can be gathered. that it i's Sony's fault for putting all of its users and customers under threat etc. etc.

but it's still not even know if the group anonymous had anything to do with it. Sony just wanted to locate and figure out who did it, and some of the people they thought it might be ended up being some of the elite hackers from the group anonymous, from what i have heard. so Anonymous took it to them selves to be like.. oh damn Sony what on earth is wrong with you? u got a problem with us? now you're also on the list of the people we want to annoy and get rid of.

Lol, i find the group anonymous hypocritical, a lot of the things they say about people, politicians, religions etc. are very bias views, mainly just their opinion etc. i mean there was maybe once when they stood for something and actually had a few good ideas, now they just stand behind a 'Guy Fawkes' mask and kinda have it as their logo etc. their whole thing of being 'Anonymous' is that they're not known, and that they can be anyone who does anything etc. etc.

wether it was them doing a "Security Check" or another bunch of people, wether looking for information etc. either way it's bad, it puts the company under stress and brings up a lot of issues with a lot of the customers, and if it does turn out where someone ends up stealing you identity that can be far worst then someone with your credit card details. They would have enough information about someone to create/find incriminating evidence etc.

but i wish for the best for every PSN user and the customers, hopefully no one get their identity stolen.

It also makes me very happy that i follow Nintendo... no matter what it does i seem to follow, plus no matter how good Xbox or Sony become, Nintendo will always have the thrown of games, and it will be a long time to come before they get knocked off that lol. GG

7Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Re: Playstation Announcement/ Email Mon May 02, 2011 10:40 am

Emilia

Emilia
Administrator
Go Nintendo!

And Martin, you wonder why I don't do internet banking...this is why.

PSN people, tell us when it is back and what you get for your patience Razz

8Playstation Announcement/ Email Empty Re: Playstation Announcement/ Email Mon May 02, 2011 11:21 am

KevlarShock

KevlarShock
Double Century
Yer i dont do any internet Banking at alll :O and this is a good enough reason not to start

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]